Reports To: Chief Executive Officer
Status: FLSA Exempt, Full-Time
Location: Richmond, VA
Date: October 2021
Celebrating 32 years of service, The Balm In Gilead works to prevent diseases and improve the health status of individuals by providing support to faith and other institutions in areas of program design, implementation, and evaluation, all of which strengthens their capacity to deliver programs and services that contribute to the elimination of health disparities.
The Balm In Gilead seeks a Finance Director who will manage and lead in finance, operations, resource planning and budgeting, and administration of the organization. The Finance Director will serve as a key leader for the organization and be a thought partner and trusted advisor to the CEO on key organizational issues. The ideal candidate is an organized self-starter who is strong in big-picture strategy but does not shy away from day-to-day operations work. The applicant must have the ability to work at a fast pace, pivot between tasks, possess a collaborative work ethic, and have a connection to our mission is also critical.
In this role, you will manage one full-time staff person.
Finance Management & Compliance
- Ensure the continued financial health of the organization through sound fiscal management
- Partner with the CEO and Deputy Director on planning, developing, and recommending annual
budgets to the board
- Develop and monitor program and project budgets and systems, ensuring timely reports for
staff and other stakeholders
- Prepare accurate and timely financial reports and materials for staff, board, and funders
- Oversee all financial, project, program and grants accounting, maintaining oversight for all
accounts payable, receivable, and payroll systems
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit, working closely with the external audit firm
- Ensure accurate and timely compliance with annual reporting and filings, including the Form
990 and state annual filings
- Regularly update accounting policies and internal controls; train staff on compliance
- Continuously improve all finance and accounting operations
- Partner with the CEO and Deputy Director to develop annual strategic plans for the organization
- Manage the organization’s risk efforts to include supervising the maintenance of all contracts,
insurance coverage, and compliance related filings and registrations
- Negotiate and manage vendor and contractor relationships
- Review and manage any grant funding requirements, including reporting
- Develop and manage other finance staff
- Oversee administrative functions to ensure efficient operations
Required Skills, Experience & Attributes
- A commitment to the Balm In Gilead mission
- Degree in accounting, finance, or a related field of study and at least five years of senior-level finance and operational experience with at least two years supervisory or management experience
- Strong understanding of nonprofit accounting with experience budget planning and
implementation, grant management, skill in reading and analyzing financial statements, and a
proficiency in accounting practices
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, particularly in explaining financial concepts to
non-finance staff and stakeholders
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to easily with a variety of people across the
organization as well as vendors, contractors and funders
- A highly organized and detail-oriented working style with a problem-solving orientation
- High integrity with experience handling confidential and sensitive information
- Agility with technology, including online communications, word processing, presentations, spreadsheets and accounting software
Preferred Skills, Experience & Attributes
- Advanced Quickbooks knowledge
- Familiarity with federal government grants and OMB Uniform Guidance
- Experience working with boards of directors
Compensation & Benefits
The salary range for this position is $75,000-$85,000 per year and the salary offered will be dependent on the candidate’s individual experience and abilities. Hours for this position are 9:00am-5:00pm at our Midlothian office. Our full compensation package includes medical and dental benefits.
How to Apply
Send a cover letter explaining your interest in and qualifications for the position, and a current resume to email@example.com. Applications can also be mailed to The Balm in Gilead, Inc., 620 Moorefield Park Drive, Suite 150, Richmond, VA 23236.
Submit your application as soon as possible. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
About The Balm In Gilead
The Balm In Gilead, Inc.is a not-for-profit, non-governmental organization that has developed an international reputation for providing insightful understanding of religious cultures, values and extraordinary abilities to build strong, trusted partnerships with faith communities throughout the world. The organization develops educational and training programs specifically designed to establish sustainable, integrated systems of public health and faith principles, which helps to improve health outcomes of individuals living in urban, rural, and remote communities.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The Balm in Gilead is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. The Balm In Gilead welcomes applicants from historically underserved and marginalized communities. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.